Saturday, January 17, 2009

Race Day Magic

I wish this marathon had been last week because things haven't gone so well this week. First, California decided to undergo Spring a little early this year with temperatures hitting the high 60's to low 70's, and the the blooming flowers are wreaking havoc with my allergies. Unlike last week, I didn't hit any of my key workouts in my taper and I cut out one workout completely and shortened another. Landing in Arizona today, I thought the change in region might alleviate my allergies but I'm only feeling mildly better. I've had a low grade headache all day long. And after two massages, two yoga classes, and lots of stretching this week, my hammie still is tight and the knee is hurting. Like I said, I wish this race was last Sunday. But, I've been doing this stuff long enough to know about race day magic. Nothing may go right in the lead up to the race and you may feel like crap the day before but come race morning, the magic happens and somehow, you feel decent and maybe even great. And even if you don't feel decent during the warm-up, somehow, once the gun goes off, race day magic allows you to execute. I got a couple of emails today that got me fired up and no matter what happens tomorrow or how I feel, I'm going to try my best to execute.

1 comment:

BreeWee said...

2:54... AMAZING... way to hang tuff (New Kids on The Block) totally stoked for you!