Friday, June 17, 2011

Fresh and Loose!

7:40, 5:27, 4:01, 2:37, 75, 31: these are numbers I have not seen on the track all season...until last night. I had no intentions of running this fast, my hips and joints dictated the speed. I know bodywork is important, and I learned just how valuable it can be last night. This sport costs a pretty penny and well, I don't have the financial resources to do everything I would like to do. Yesterday, I bit the bullet and paid $125 for a 70 minute session with an awesome massage therapist. To my surprise, there really wasn't much massaging, mostly stretching and pressure point stuff that felt somewhat like an ART session. I have to admit that once done, I was a bit disappointed because I didn't feel much of a difference, and I felt a bit cheated that my muscles didn't really get massaged. But later that night, when I was warming up for my track workout, my hip and joints just felt fresh and loose. I instantly noticed the difference when I did my first interval, my body just felt young. I didn't feel like a 40 year-old, but more like my 20's (well, I might be embellishing here, probably more like my 30's). I've had massages and ART sessions but to be honest, none of them made quite the difference like the one I had yesterday. I'm sold that you get what you pay for and that if you pay enough, bodywork makes a huge difference! My plan is to cut back on eating out 4 times per month so that I can substitute one bodywork session.

Well, summer has finally made it here to the Bay Area and I LOVE the freakin summer! I turned my grades in on Wednesday and was officially finito with school. On Thursday morning when I woke up to swim, I realized that I did not have to go to work for the next two months, and I let out a big "Woohoo!" (yes, I really shouted woohoo at 6 AM from my bed). Summer means light at 5:30 AM until 8:30 PM, naps, mid-day coffee shops, reading, volunteering, recovery, warm weather, visiting Kona, and of course training and racing. My serotonin levels must be really up and up right now. I'll just ride the wave. And I'll leave you with a quote that one smart cookie told me, and it really hit home:

Your dreams should inspire you and not haunt you.

10 comments:

Betsy said...

if you were my FB friend you would know that my status right now is Summer Rules! that was posted after my 6 am OWS lake swim with my crazy friends :)

Beth said...

That is an expensive massage...but obviously very worth it!! And so happy for you that school is out. My husband is a teacher also and I loooooove the summer when he is a lot more relaxed and has much more time!! Enjoy!!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I'm officially jealous that you get the summer off!

I recognized Dolores Beach on a rare warm day.

Please email me the info on your awesome massage therapist jumpmarketing at gmail dot com

And send some of that fabulous positive energy my way please :-)

jennifer said...

Hi, can you share where you got your great bodywork done? Assuming someplace in SF? I've been going to Psoas but it's pretty pricey and I certainly haven't had "magic" like what you described!

Charisa said...

Summer is the BEST! I wish I was going to be in CDA to cheer LOUD!!! I'll be doing this from CA though - get after it up there!!!!

Teresa said...

So jealous of your gorgeous weather...but YES, ride the wave friend!

CDA!!! Yeah!

tn

Molly said...

The weather has been WONDERFUL!!! And yes that kind of good bodywork is soooo worth it. You're going to kick ass next week!

Michelle Simmons said...

Awesome! Sounds like you are ready! Looking forward to meeting you next week. :)

mtanner said...

I am serious! When you come down here to train I will hook you up with my person, ON ME! Then you can have a fresh and loose in Monterey!

Libby said...

:)
SO SO SO SO jealous! ugh. neil is a teacher too so I get to watch his bliss all summer while I slave away. you people make me sick :) I wish I could teach, but I would make an AWFUL teacher!
glad you got some work done on ya, I'm getting so freakin excited for you kiet. countdown is on and you are so ready! mind AND body!