Saturday, August 6, 2011

10 Questions with Kim DeNovellis-Schwabenbauer

Sports Background before triathlons?

When I wasn't picking flowers and talking to plants I was running with my Mom at a very early age (like 10). From there I ran cross country & track in high school and then eventually walked on to the Penn State Cross Country Team (and graduated a Captain - who would have thought!). I loved running so much I ran a few marathons after college I was bored and ready to do something knew - enter - duh duh duuuhhhhh, my new love of all three sports!

Pre-race ritual?

Well, I have to be honest about this one. I don't really have one except lately I've had this lovely issue race morning of needing to not walk, but RUN to the bathroom at Mock 2. In Lake Placid it was the woods, twice, because the lines were so long. I hope that ritual doesn't continue much longer, but maybe it's my pre-race nerves and maybe it means I'm ready to race! Who knows!

Strange place you bodyglide?

I wish I had some.. just the standard P.G. answer here - Neck, under my arms, ankles, sometimes feet. Cleavage - ha.. just kidding.

What are the two most played songs on your ipod?

Marching On (Timbo Version - Featuring One Republic) & I Need a Doctor by Eminem!

What do you crave when you are bonking?

COKE. It's all about the coke. I try to hold on as long as possible without it but man.. that stuff is a little like liquid gold out there sometimes!

How many #2's pre-race?

Well, I think I already answered this one but it depends on how nervous I am or if I'm in a foreign country! I'd say at least two! I supposed its my body's way of not carrying extra weight for the race.. who knows!

What is an obscure website you visit?

I'm so boring. I visit all the regulars - blogs, Facebook, Trainingpeaks, slowtwitch. I DO like to shop online though (little too much so I'll hit up a piperlime or Alloy etc. when I want to put things in the "shopping bag' but not actually buy them!

What's in your special needs bag?

Bike - three more bottles of Infinite, extra Powergels (in case I drop mine), extra salt tabs, pepto bismol chewable tablets, immodium.

Run - extra gels, same items as above, some little treat like a candy bar or gel blasts in case I'm like so over gels by that point and then a throw away pair of running shorts.. well, in case I poop my pants or heaven knows what else. Listen, it's Ironman people, anything can happen!

Team Macca or Team Crowie?

Honestly, I would have always said Crowie but I just read Macca's book and it was pretty dang compelling. I'd have to say Macca these days.

What's your ride?

Trek Speed Concept / Ultegra with 404 Zipp Wheels affectionately known as "The Green Speed Machine"

*Kim recently placed 1st amateur overall at IM Lake Placid, and now she has a matching first place trophy to go with her overall amateur win at IM Cozumel. The best thing about Kim? She calls me "kid" all the time, and she is six years younger than I am.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Woo-hoo Kim!! Oh and no worries Kiet, she calls everyone "kid". ;)

Jennifer Harrison said...

AWESOME!!! :) FUN FUN!! She doesn't call me kid, that's for damn sure. Hmmm.... :)

Libby said...

love it!! great one kim! can't wait to see her rock kona!

Kim said...

LOL! Oh man.. I am just seeing these and laughing.. I guess I better start calling Jen "Kid" too!! Don't even notice I do it!! Thanks for the post Kiet, very fun and hopefully I didn't come off TOO much like the dork that I actually am!