Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Diary of A Sick Triathlete

Wednesday: Had no power, had to cut the ride short and still barely made it home. Hmmm...maybe I'll try to go to swim practice. Got out after 20 minutes. Later that night, jaw, ear, teeth, eyes were throbbing. It hurt so much to lay down and stayed up until 2 AM. Maybe I can do that track workout tomorrow. Gotta find some speed for that half-ironman.

Thursday: Woke up with chills, painful jaw and teeth again. Saw the doctor, maybe a sinus infection, got antibiotics. Told to take one pill a day for 10 days. Supposed to be racing a half ironman in 9 days. Decide to forego antibiotics and take a rest day. I can push my ride, run, and swim to Friday. Need to get ready for that half ironman.

Friday: Jaw, teeth, etc...still hurt. Still feeling fatigued. Maybe one more rest day. I can do a 3-hour ride and 75-minute brick run on Saturday followed by a swim. It's okay, as long as I get a solid workout tomorrow, the half will still be okay.

Saturday: Just sit on the trainer for 90 minutes. Feeling okay, alright maybe 30 minutes at race pace effort, job done. Let's go for a run, whoa, just got real dizzy. Maybe that was enough. I'll just do the three days of core exercises I missed. Tomorrow, I'll ride 4 hours and run 60 minutes off the bike and swim. Gotta get in some fitness for the half ironman.

Sunday: 10 AM! Is it really 10 AM? How did I sleep in so late? Not going to happen today. Hmmm...maybe I should put my health first rather than this half-ironman first. Alright, no more plans to train, just wake up and if I feel good, give it a shot.

Monday: 90 minutes on trainer, solid. Not feeling great but I'll try the 90-minute ride outdoors. Man it's hot, why am I riding so hard? I'm thirsty, I'm getting really tired. Should I run, not feeling great. Oh, cramp, skip run. Do core exercises? Oh cramp on my ribcage? Definitely no running, I'll do the core exercises later. Feeling very warm. Man, I'm radiating heat. I'm burning up. No core exercises. I'll just run 75 minutes tomorrow, average faster than 7-minute miles and then go for a shakedown swim. Then I'll swim on Thursday morning, ride 90-min on trainer and run 30 min off bike. Friday, I'll ride 60-min on trainer and run 30 min race pace off bike and swim. And Saturday I'll just swim and Sunday, race time!

Tuesday: Jaw still hurts, maybe skip the swim until the jaw/ear doesn't hurt anymore. Oh man, I'm feeling worst as the day goes on. Chills. Eyelids heavy. There is no running today. Maybe I should get that antibiotic prescription filled. Screw the race. There's a lesson to be learned here.

7 comments:

JC said...

Feel better - look after yourself - skip the race, if you feel good, go cheer on some people on race day! Being sick sucks, but your body is telling you something! Feel better soon!
Oh - I've been too that peer where the swim is and there are a TON of seals there, don't think that race is in my near future - but maybe Wildflower. Not a fan of seals: http://jillcostantino.blogspot.com/2009/08/swimming-adventures-and-more.html
Get some rest:)

Charisa said...

REST REST REST is good for you!! It's so hard for us sometimes, but so so true. Hope you feel better soon!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You gotta follow the advice you gave me! Rest up buddy. It sucks to miss Big Kahuna but its worse to get really sick and if the antibiotics haven't kicked this thing yet then it's either a doozy or misdiagnosed.

IAN said...

Dude, the doctor went to medical school. You didn't. Take the meds and rest. Skip the race if you still feel shitty. U r not superhuman healing man, dont ris digging yourself even deeper.

jameson said...

all good advice above... health is #1. racing and training sick isn't fun. rest, enjoy some rest.

Libby said...

I love the stream of consciousness, sounds really familiar. I hope you are feeling better and I know it sucks not racing but honestly, I've raced with a raging sinus infection before and I wanted to absolutely die. its no fun when you feel like total shit. especially that distance. get your health back and treat that body right!!!! any other races planned this season??

Teresa said...

Are you feeling better yet? I am so far behind on things! Take the meds. You have a big season ahead of you! Tn