Thursday, June 23, 2011

15 Hours to Fulfill A Goal

Yesterday, I drove 15 hours in hopes of fulfilling a goal. By 10 PM, I hit my breaking point and called it a day, just a little over one hour shy of Coeur d'Alene. This morning I arrived to CDA amidst a thunderstorm and showers, and a much anticipated ride with Michelle, Teresa, and Matt was delayed. By 11 AM, Matt and I were able to ride 2+ hours, and the sun and warmer weather eventually greeted us. Then it was off to check-in and I run into the awesome Sue Hutter, looking way cool jetting around town on her scooter. After check-in, I went for my 30-40 minute run with some pick-ups. If only 6:40 miles would feel as easy on Sunday as they did today. Good stuff.

And then I got back to my hotel room to a barrage of text and FB messages. I got the sense that a lot of people were thinking about me today, and I definitely felt the love. This "thoughtfulness" is so unique to ironman. I was riding with Matt today and I told him, I feel like I'm carrying each of my supporters with me on this ride, I feel their presence. Today was a full day and even after 15 hours of driving yesterday, I felt like I had more than enough energy to attack the day. Thanks for the energy my friends. It was a great start to this ironman adventure. Some pics to better tell the story:

6 comments:

Beth said...

I hope you feel all that same support and love on race day when I know MANY people will be thinking of you and urging you on to greatness!!! Have an awesome day out there Kiet! Like Libby said...let your dreams inspire you!!

Kim said...

YES! I'm the first poster! WINNING :) Ha... kidding. So glad you made it safe and sound. Love the pictures too.. I feel incredibly blessed to get to share this journey of yours and see you achieve your goal. No matter what, I know you will leave it all out there and regardless of what happens, that makes you a winner in my book Kiet :) Lots of luck and prayers to you my friend!

Libby said...

SO beautiful! I love how peaceful it is there and I love how the sun rises so early. must. move. west!
with you each and every step of the way and I'm not even close to the only one! smile. its almost time to shine!

JC said...

You will feel the same on race day no doubt - if not BETTER! Go get it Kiet! Swim, Bike and Run FAST!
Great pics!

Michelle Simmons said...

Nice to meet you this morning!! I hope you have a super day out there on Sunday! Wave when you see me- I'll be the one dressed like an Eskimo. ;)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Beautiful pics and an amazing adventure!