Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Tale of Two..Uh, Seven Ironmans

My first was Vineman in 1999, where I suffered two flats and spent an hour on the road waiting for support. The second was IM France where my buddy and I did not do our homework and flew in five days before the race, not enough time to shake the jetlag. The result was a DNF for both of us. The third was IM CDA and a disappointing 4:40 run split. The fourth was IM CDA part deux where I decided to take a nap under a tree in the 90° heat, and awoke in an ambulance ride to the med tent. The fifth was IM OZ last year where I finished with a PR of 10:27, but still far from a good race. I got a bit excited exiting the water with the second pack of pro's and somehow thought I could ride with them for the first 40K. Th result was a blow up and a 3:58 run split. The sixth was Vineman again last year and after a 56 swim, 5:22 bike, I blew up on the run once again.

I haven't had too much luck at the IM distance and this weighs heavy on my psyche. Also, apparently pre-race prep involves nausea this year, something totally new to me. I am positive it is nerves, but from everything I've learned, this is fairly common with people, just new to me. But this week has been absolutely awesome: feeling good, feeling fit, and spending time with some good people.

The best remedy for a shaky psyche is support from your friends. All this week, I've received some amazing messages from friends and with each message, my psyche gains stability. I want to thank you all for taking the time to shoot me a quick message, I store your words to recall them on race day. I have every intention of being a game-day'er tomorrow, and to bring it when it counts...on race day. Besides racing tough as nails, I also plan to smile, acknowledge some spectators for their cheers, thank some volunteers, and support my fellow racers. Let's rock and roll!

6 comments:

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love every minute of it!

Teresa said...

The run is all yours this time!! Strong and steady all day on that bike and then you will ROCK the run!! See you soon!

tn

mtanner said...

I still need to meet you! We are so similar! I'm here Monday too so late afternoon coffee or something? All the best for you tomorrow!

Michelle Simmons said...

Ok let's all try to avoid the marathon meltdown. I think it starts by being more conservative than we think we should on the bike. :)

JC said...

You WILL BE AMAZING tomorrow! Remember to adapt when/if there is a time for it. you've done the work and tomorrow is SHOWTIME - You've got this!

Betsy said...

Nice to meet you on the course today...looking toward to reading more about your day. And exactly why you were walking at mile 22 when I saw you :) regardless of how the day went in your mind ironman finish is sill an ironman finish. Congrats!