Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Three Weeks In

I'm three weeks into the start of my 2013 season, and things are going swell. I'm in the third and final week of my build cycle, and next week, I get a bit of a break. After 20+ years of training, I have this huge aerobic base and I find that I get back into aerobic fitness fairly quickly. But getting back to peak racing fitness requires a bit more time, and a lot more racing.

After my good news on January 8, you would think that I would be grateful for every opportunity to train. But when my alarm rang at 5:00 AM last Friday, I was feeling anything but grateful to get up and do my run. Funny how that works. I'm sure the human condition that allows us to heal, is also responsible for causing us to take things for granted. But I did roll out of bed and not only did I get the run in, but I got my swim done and dusted all before 7:30 AM.

I'll get a chance to test my aerobic fitness this weekend when I join 100+ riders for the coast ride from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. My longest ride in the past five months is 49 miles, so I am a bit concerned. My lack of preparation should tell you that this was a last-minute decision, spurred by no other than one Charisa Wernick. The first day is 123 miles from San Francisco to Seaside. The second day is 125 miles from Seaside to Morro Bay. And the third day, well I don't know the distance because I'm bailing after the second day. 248 miles over two days is plenty for me. I have a feeling I'm going to be digging deep, very deep this weekend. I'm looking forward to documenting the experience with my new GOPRO3 camera, I love the way this camera takes pics and videos. I hope the rest of you are having equally fun building the fitness for 2013.

2 comments:

Beth said...

See you in a few days for just a little bit of bike riding!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

jameson said...

kinda jealous of you guys rolling down the coast! have fun out there dude and 248 miles in 2 days will pay off in a BIG way!!