Monday, May 20, 2013

Matcha Green Tea Shake


I'm not a big coffee drinker, in fact, I drink coffee so infrequently that I can recall the last three times. And all three times happened with this girl: when I took her to Philz in December, when the Starbuck's barista spelled both of our names wrong (Kite & Shereesa) during the Coast Ride in January, and when I flew down to San Diego for the ITU race in April. Drinking coffee is either a social or an athletic performance thing for me. If I need a caffeine boost, my preferred choice is a matcha green tea shake. I buy matcha green tea powder from Berkeley Bowl, a hippy co-op market. To make the shake, combine one cup of any non-dairy milk of your choice (coconut, almond, soy, or even a mixture of 2 or 3), with 1/2 tablespoon of matcha green tea powder, and 1-2 tablespoons of coconut crystals. Blend the mixture together with either a milk frother, or I use a Cuisinart SmartStick. This is a creamy, not too sweet, and mild tasting shake to start your day. I must admit the matcha green tea taste is not for everyone. Try it and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

I used to drink that often... It's been a while though... Should get back to it. :)

Charisa said...

It's funny - I LOVE coffee, but more than the coffee I like the experience of going with someone, talking to them, smelling the coffee, etc. Your green tea thing sounds good.